Vida en Mexico

Thursday, August 9, 2007

Mexican Immersion

I just got back yesterday evening from a bit of a Mexican adventure. I wasn't entirely sure what I was getting myself into but I had been asked a week ago to drive a van for the Mexican Church as they were taking a trip to a town called Banamichi about 4 hours northeast in the mountains. As usual, I didn't get a lot of details but they needed me because one of the vehicles they were taking was Canadian and had Alberta plates, so they needed a Canadian to drive it. As it turns out, it was a group of ladies from the Mexican Church who were visiting some friends in Banamichi who used to live here in San Carlos. We took two vans and a car and left at 5:00am on Tuesday morning. Fortunately the husband of one of the woman was driving the other van and so I wan't alone.

We actually stayed in a house that the Cross Current group helped to dig the foundations for in January and the family that they were going out there to see was one that we had connected with and spent some time with back in January. I've concluded while being out here in Mexico that this truly is a small world...

The time out there was spent relaxing, taking in some of the sights of the area, eating some good Mexican cuisine and taking in a Church service of sorts Tuesday evening. I couldn't help but feel like the minority though, not speaking a whole lot of Spanish. There was one person (one of the people we were visiting) who spoke English very well and a number of them who had a very, very basic grasp of English. We're all familiar with minorities in Canada but it sure is weird being very much in the minority.

Well, we made it back safe and sound Wednesday evening, another adventure under the belt.

No comments: