Vida en Mexico

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Back in the Groove

Slowly but surely I'm getting back into the swing of things down
here! It honestly has felt like weeks since I've been here, at least
in a "normal" sense. Sure, I was here two weeks ago (for a week)
with my brother and his friends but that week was such a rat race,
hanging out with them as well as taking care of some regular duties
here. The temperature has definitely kicked it up a little - we're
hanging around the mid 30's consistently with high humidity. We've
had two mornings of rain, though, which has helped to not only
freshen things up but turn everything very green! What once was were
desert hillsides are now turning lush and green. We're just entering
the rainy season which will continue on through till sometime in
September or October.

Just a couple of hours ago I bid fairwell to a youth retreat from a
local Spanish church located about 20 minutes from here. This week,
among regular responsibilities, will be spent gearing up for my youth
group's arrival next week Friday. I'm very excited to have the
opportunity to host this group out here for a week of ministry. It's
always a pleasure to have family and friends from home join me in
this adventure out here. These experiences are great to share with
words and pictures but when you can share the experiences themselves,
it makes it that much richer! The group, 11 in all, will be involved
with a VBS program in a local Spanish church during the mornings, and
the afternoons will included various things like a painting project
for that church, doing some clothes and food distribution, and
spending some time at the orphanage that I'm involved with.

You can definitely keep us all in your prayers in several different
ways: (1) None of the members of the group have been to
Mexico...scary and exciting at the same time! But pray that God will
not only take us all out of our comfort zones but that He will show
Himself faithful as well trust Him in those circumstances. (2) Pray
that we will be able to see God's hand work mightily amongst us and
around us as we seek to serve Him wholeheartedly (3) Pray for safety
in travel for the group - over 5000 miles will be spent on the road!
(4) Please also pray for me as I am in a new role. Generally I'm
working under the leadership of Art and Brenda but since they are in
Montana for the summer, I'll be flying solo...the group won't be the
only ones living outside their comfort zones!

I can't thank you enough for your prayers in all of this...they are
what keeps this ministry going and what keeps it effective!

No comments: