Vida en Mexico

Monday, May 21, 2007

2500 Miles later....


Well, 2500 miles and 54 consecutive hours spent in my car and I have made it to the toasty coast of the Gulf of California. I actually did manage to catch more than a couple hours of sleep in my car and with my windows rolled down, the lack of air conditioning wasn't unbearable. The humidity hit though, about an hour from San Carlos. More inland in Mexico, it's a hot dry heat but here on the coast, the humidity combined with the heat is more than the average Manitoban is used to. The temperature usually gets up to about 32 right now and cools off to about 25. When I tell people that i'm staying here for the summer, about 95% of them think I'm crazy to be planning to brave the summer heat. I guess we'll wait and see - I'm just thankful for air conditioning!

This week has been quite busy. Brenda and her husband (the owners of this house) left on Friday, after helping me make connections with the local spanish and english church, orphanage, and other people in community. Another person who was here to visit Brenda is here until Tuesday when she's heading back to Canada. She's spend a fair bit of time here and has been my unofficial tour guide, showing me around San Carlos and neighbouring city Guaymas. I'm been meeting a lot of new people, North American and Mexican alike and floundering my way through a lot of Spanish conversionations, usually getting completely lost but managing to understand the odd phrase.

I am planning to post a photo album on this site soon to give you more of an idea of what this place and the house I'm living in looks like. Thank you for all the prayers that have been offered up - they have been hugely needed and definitely felt. The hardest part is going to be getting integrated with the community (especially the Spanish community) and of course getting a modest grasp of Spanish.

2 comments:

Naomi said...

Sounds like you could use a huge ice cap! I'm excited that you've started up a blog, it will be fun to hear your stories and see some pictures of your "home" away from "home". I'm sure your spanish will pick up fast, Erich does pretty well with the Mexican workers here and he only remembers spanish from when we were all in Peru. Welcome to the world of blogging, hope you stay cool!

Unknown said...

Hey Man hope ur having fun wish u would get sum more pics up so i guess i g2g peace out l8r have fun in mexico, so yeah juss email me much plz peace