Vida en Mexico

Wednesday, September 6, 2017

School's In! (Almost...)

Those dreaded words for many as a kid..."School's starting!" have come and gone for many.  Fortunately for us those aren't dreaded words but exciting ones!  Also fortunate for us, we still have some time before school is in session.  We are heavily under way in confirming plans, teachers, schedules, and students for the quickly up and coming school term which begins in January.  I know it sounds like a ways away still but it is hard to believe that we're already closing in on the final months of this year!

Here's a couple of highlights as well as some up-and-coming things to take note of:

Canada

What a great time I had spending just over a month in Canada, having some time to rest, connect with many of you, share about what is going on down here in Mexico, and escaping a little bit of the San Carlos heat!  I had the privilege of driving up with a good friend of mine, Rafael, whom many of us know as "Junior", along with his family.  They spent the time with me at my parent's house while Junior, who had gotten to know a number of people in the Winkler area over the years, was invited to come out and connect with people who have been closely involved in supporting his families ministry efforts in Guaymas through children's ministry.  It's always a pleasure to connect with so many of you!

Foot Fracture

I have to say that having your ankle fractured is not all it's cracked up to be (yes, pun intended!)  Well, I suppose that no-one ever recommended it and I don't know that I would either!  However it does come with some benefits: such as mandated rest.  That might be the only one I can think of...perhaps the other would be a legitimate excuse to temporarily ditch the exercise program!  Seriously though, it has been a long and slow recovery with weekly, slow but steady improvements.  I still have discomfort and pain, especially if I'm on it too much but we're slowly making progress.  I am thankful, though, for the time it has allowed me to do what is often difficult to do: rest!  I was able to enjoy time reading, taking care of things on the computer, etc., things that I hadn't had time to do otherwise but needed to be done.  So thanks for those who have had to exercise patience with me in the meantime and for the many prayers!

Planning

One significant change over the course of this year is that one of our main administrators, Katie Dyck, is no longer with CEC.  She filled a big hole here and her absence means a fair bit more on my plate, along with others as well.  Part of those responsibilities is having a more hands-on role in planning the course schedule and being in communication with the teachers.  We are in that full force now as January seems to be just around the corner.  It is always a huge rompecabeza (literally "head-breaker!"), the Spanish word for puzzle, and I'm feeling it's effects!  Pray for direction and just for God's hand to be over all these details - we want it all to be for His glory in the lives of the students.  Oh yes, and pray for the prospective students as well!  Without them we would have nothing to do!

Visit

I'm coming back to Canada again!  I'm not sure how this worked out but I'm going to be tagging along with Benny (he's running a rehab center in Arizpe) who has been invited to come share about his ministry with a group of supporters in Minneapolis the end of September.  Because Winkler is so close, and because there are many of you who know him from the Winkler area, we are going to spend about a week there as well, connecting with many of you.  Our plan is to arrive in Winkler sometime on Sunday, Sept. 17th, spend the week there and leave for Minneapolis on Tuesday the 26th.  There are several engagements already planned and you are more than welcome to attend.  The following engagements are tentatively set for Sunday, Sept. 24th:

  • 9:15 AM - Sharing at Sunday school at the Blumenort Mennonite Church in Rosetown
  • 10:30 AM - Benny preaching at Bethel Bergthaler Church, south of Winkler
  • 7:00 PM - Benny, myself, and directors Howard & Susan Dyck sharing about the ministries down in Mexico: the school CEC and the rehab center Vida Nueva in Arizpe (see link)


Please come on out to any or all of these events!  Of course we will be around during the week prior if you want to grab a coffee!

Thanks so much for all the many prayers that are offered up for myself and for the ministries down here.  I don't know where we would be without them!  I'm looking forward to seeing many of you (again!)  ¡Dios les bendiga!

No comments: